Games of Adventure! :: Forums :: General
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Suffering really strange burnout

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
Josh
Wed Jan 23 2013, 01:10PM Print View

Josh

I'm not sure what's going on, but I think I'm suffering from some odd version of burnout from the game. It's strange, I still enjoy writing and running plots, I love playing my dwarf warrior, I like making props and coming up with new ideas for how to do more props.

My burnout seems to come from contending with the history of the game. It kind of creeps me out to think how many players have come and gone. When ever I hear about people talk about "the old days", it really turns me off. I don't want to hear about it and I don't really care about how things were in the past, and I have no idea why have such an aversion to it.

Lastly, I feel like I've been able to accomplish my immediate goals, but due the nature of this larp and its community, I can not attain my long term goals. there is a growing idea in my head that I may shift over to running a seasonal or semi annual larp, that is basically a dungeon crawl for one party of adventurers. There are a lot of things I would like to do differently such as rules, props, and play style. I'm not really happy with either of those things right now. Maybe I'm just going through some "funk". Maybe I need to run a few dungeon crawls to get it out of my system, I don't know.
Warden
Wed Jan 23 2013, 02:22PM

You could view it as having achieved the perception of "ownership" of the game. The point at which you have taken this thing and made it yours.

--He kalai'a i 'oi ka hi'u--
Foam-Sword-Hero
Wed Jan 23 2013, 03:41PM
Registered Member #24
Hey man, if you don't want to do the game as is, you've earned the right not to.

You don't have Miranda Rights in Rolehaven
The Black Fox
Wed Jan 23 2013, 11:44PM
Registered Member #70
You're a good GM Josh and I hate to say this but you may be happier going back to being a player. Let someone else handle the shenanigans of the rules and just enjoy playing your character. I bet Max would totally be down to take over. Don't let yourself get too cerebral over running things. Going back to plain old having fun may be the ticket.

This proves it...going legit is more trouble than it's worth...
Josh
Thu Jan 24 2013, 01:23AM

Josh

The only reason I've brought this up is because of how "left field" it feels. I don't hate the game, or the players, or anything like that. I've been having a great time just hanging out, writing plots and running things. Perhaps this isn't really burn out, I've just noticed symptoms like being agitated about minor details. Ideas that were in the back of my mind are suddenly and randomly taking center stage.

I've kind of taken the whole day off. I tried working on homework and cleaning up around the house to see if that would make me feel better, but I just felt really drained. Right now I'm totally disorganized, and I can't function when this happens. I'm sure I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment about everything I've got going on right now.

I spoke with Max, and he will be running the show for the rest of the winter. This frees me up to focus on school work, which I think is the real cause behind all of this. I'll still show up pretty much every Sunday to play, I just need this time to regroup and rethink.

Some of the things that were starting to get to me were:
1. Having a sense of progress for the game. I'm really worried about the game not going anywhere. This game has been roller coastering for decades, and I want to get it to go somewhere.

2. The game suffers a lot of disorganization. Our rules are the best we have had to date, but it is still in beta since 2011. This forum is getting out of date with messages from 2008. New players can't even register on this site anymore. We need to consider moving.

3. I want to get people into costume. This means making them, and showing people how to make their own. It also involves getting donations and passing them down to players who need them.

Having people help tackle these issues in their own way would really help me sleep at night!
The Black Fox
Thu Jan 24 2013, 02:27AM
Registered Member #70
I'll be down to help Josh! I think it is a great idea for you to just chill, enjoy this game and really get into helping it go where you want to see it go. I think as players we have more power to do that than we think. To get this game moving you need someone to run it and people to play it. Everything else falls into line.

Warden
Thu Jan 24 2013, 10:11PM

Maybe the better question is: what direction do you want the game to go in?

Also, new folks can't sign up? Is *that* how we fixed the spamming problem?

--He kalai'a i 'oi ka hi'u--
The Black Fox
Sun Jan 27 2013, 03:18AM
Registered Member #70
Very good point Pat. It may help to see what the players are looking for too. The GM should definitely be the decision maker and guide the game in a direction he feels it should go though. Luckily you have players at the game from two perspectives. The old veterans and the new hopefuls. Pretty well balanced I think!

Lasivian
Tue Jan 29 2013, 06:47PM

Registered Member #86
Warden wrote ...

Maybe the better question is: what direction do you want the game to go in?

Also, new folks can't sign up? Is *that* how we fixed the spamming problem?

Why not just take things to facebook at the moment? It seems new people are slowly filtering in there.

----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.lasivian.com/
Josh
Tue Jan 29 2013, 06:59PM

Josh

Facebook is intended to be a news feed.

This forum is for airing our dirty laundry.
Go to page       >>  

Moderators: ForumAdmin, Zane/Ginawa, Loreli, Warden, Josh, templeofcyric, Elfintree

Jump:     Back to top